Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Blue sharpie.

I have a feeling today will be one of those days I remember. Forever.

When I was three (or so) I drew on my brand-new, unfinished door with chap-stick. I remember. I'm still sorry. And I'm even sorrier today because wow, I got payback. BIG TIME.



Today was the last day of school (for students, at least) and I was headed in to wrap some stuff up, and pack up my classroom some more. Hannah was cranky and seemed like she would need an early nap. We cuddled some and then I expertly set her up with some Sesame Street and milk while I took a quick shower. Hopping out of the shower, she greeted me cheerfully "Hi Mami!"... stark naked and COVERED in BLUE SHARPIE. OH.NO. It was on her face. In her ears. She colored in both of her nipples and her belly button too, before she scribbled all over her belly, her legs, toes, behind her knees, on her back, and you know? she even colored her own butt-crack. HOW? WHY?
Expecting that that would be the worst of it, I rounded the corner to my room, looking for the pen, where I saw that she had colored Micah's college ID, the corner of our quilt, the laundry basket (Micah's), the carpet, the wall, and both sides of the door.
So much mischief. So little time.

It's an understatement to say that I was pretty overwhelmed by the whole thing.

Once Hannah realized that I did not think this art project was "fun", she promptly went to work on the door and walls with the baby wipes. She knows that's how we like to clean up almost all accidents around here.



It was a long cranky afternoon for both of us, between trying to recover from the skewed-plans for going in to school today, and trying different ways to clean things up, all whilst keeping BOTH eyes on that kid, she had a hard time going down for a nap. I had to lay down with her, and you know, I needed the rest. Look how sweet she looks sleeping, even though the evidence of her mischief was still (kind of) all over her face!)




As I logged on to google how to get stains out of all of this, I decided instead to post the question in my Facebook status. Social networking to the rescue: I had answers, good ones, within minutes:
For the walls:
"Home Depot makes a graffiti eraser, but Hannah may have to be blue for a while"
"Magic Eraser"
For the toddler:
"Rubbing alcohol"
"Nail polish remover and hot water"
And "Comet for all of it."

Turns out, two rounds of our favorite standby for all stains (the baby wipes, once by Mami and again by Daddy with more elbow grease) gets most of the marker off of Hannah. The belly button will be blue for a while.

I think I'm going to hit the walls early tomorrow morning. (Hannah is sleeping for right now, and I dare not wake her!)

No comments:

Post a Comment