Thursday, November 18, 2010

Perspective.

I thought I was having a hard day.
Overwhelmed by my own to-do list, and my email inbox. Turns out we have termites. Our dog needs to be licensed (for the last 5 years). Oh, and take him to the vet for his shots and whatever is making him stink so. Our busy toddler seems to be making a steady stream of poopy diapers. And needs to get to the pediatrician for some lactose intolerance, her two year old shots, and to make sure her speech is progressing ok. The last day of school before Thanksgiving break is tomorrow and I am desperately reviewing plans over and over to make sure that I can properly harness their inevitable craziness (not going to happen).

That all quickly got put into perspective.
I was taking a few minutes just to decompress and check fun stuff like Prince William and Kate Middleton's engagement, and Facebook, and I stumbled upon this entry on my friend Sara's blog.
And my heart changed. My worries pale in comparison to the suffering that people are going through every day in this world.
I am living in a bubble, and it just totally popped. Though I don't have words to describe how this makes me feel, all I can say is that I am praying.
Things like this should not happen in the world.
It haunts me that a mother has lost her child. It makes my heart ache that my friends are grieving the loss of this little life, too. I can't shake it from my mind, because her challenge keeps ringing in my head:

"Be sad. Be broken. Feel the weight of the evil, suffering and injustice in the world.

Feel the urgency of love. Hurry. Seek what God would have you do.

Give. Give everything you have because it is not yours to keep. Use whatever God has given you to be his hands in this world."

As the holiday season approaches, I welcome the comforting traditions they bring.
But, my heart remembers these people all over the world that I want to offer comfort to:
A cup of water
Good food
A pair of shoes
The joy of learning
The joy of Christmas
Or maybe all of the above?
I don't know where to start, but we've got to start somewhere. God is moving in my heart, and challenging me about giving this Christmas.
Think about it.
I am thinking.
And praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment