Monday, June 21, 2010

it smells great around here!


my favorite spot in the whole house is at the kitchen sink. it's also my most frequent spot in the whole house. thankfully, it usually smells like my kitchen favorites: hazelnut coffee, yummy things simmering on the stove, and basil from the window.
now, it smells like CHOCOLATE MINT. yes, like mint chip ice cream. in my window!

today was a special day. micah and i FINALLY planted the veggie garden i have been dreaming of since, well, always! but specifically, i've been planning this little tiny spot in our garden for like, two years now. we've made LOTS of progress on the rest of the backyard, but i have been waiting and WAITING to get my veggies in the ground, and tomorrow was going to be the day, but after my gardener's date with Micah at Green Thumb (we held hands and pulled little red wagons!) i could not wait to get these things in the ground! so i planted until the sun went down, and then some!

It's all done, and I feel like tomorrow is Christmas morning. I can't wait to get up and get my coffee and just watch my plants grow!
We've got:
Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Zucchini
Basil (more of it, I can't get enough of that smell! But, maybe we have enough now)
A tabasco pepper
Pole Beans
and Strawberries!
In separate pots: all the yummy smells... a sweet lime tree, lemon balm, and the CHOCOLATE MINT.

Most of these plants will be producing in 52 days or so. August 12. I really shouldn't have counted those days. That's just before school is officially back in session, and I'll already be in meetings...Well, that's a lot of days, anyhow!

On a lighter note, here's a fun fact: Now that we are realizing that I have a mini basil farm (seriously, nine plants in all!) we are learning new ways to use it. Micah just threw the trimmings down the garbage disposal while he was cleaning up, and our kitchen smells delightfully refreshing!

Oh and one more quick note: An ode to the poinsettia. After 4 years in our kitchen window, Micah finally acknowledged that the plant is probably dead, and threw it away.
It was the most well loved poinsettia EVER. Micah faithfully waited for that plant to bloom every Christmas. I am sure he is secretly wondering if we perhaps threw it away too soon. Consequently, it's time for me to take down the Advent Calendar. Christmas season has officially passed at the Nourse home for this year, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment