Monday, June 28, 2010

A different kind of Monday...

Mondays in summertime have a totally different feeling than Mondays during the school year. Today has been a different day all together, as it is pretty overcast, and mild as far as heat goes. Actually, it was pretty chilly. Whatever. It's summer, and I was actually thankful for the break in sunshine activities as I am recovering from a wicked sunburn from last week.
I am having a cup of tea and a reflective moment right now, as Hannah is having her SECOND nap today! Oh bliss.
Here's how she got so tired:
After a normal morning playing in the house, she took a short nap on our way up to Bella Terra in HB. We shopped and had lunch at Daphne's and then headed home.
Then, she helped me with laundry. Following my directions, she put a whole load of diapers in the dryer, with no help! Seriously, all I did was push the right buttons to start the machine (she actually pushed the big start button). I was so proud of her. I think this is the start of something good!
Then, she saw her sandtoys. And after being such a great helper, I had to reward her (though I was already planning on going after switching the laundry. She thought it was a reward. Sweet.)
Packed up the toys, took off for the park. It is cool and not many people are out in the park. She drops the sandtoys and heads off for her favorite thing: the red ladder to climb. It's four rungs tall, and with my help, she gets to the top, and goes down the slide. What a big girl. I was so proud.
Then she heads over to where the big kids are playing. There is this U-shaped ladder that she loves and I have no idea how old she'll be when she learns to climb it, but she is determined. Tries every time we go to the park. Today, I show her again, how to use her hands and feet to move across the bottom part, and as it turns to the vertical section, something in her head just clicked. She got it, and totally took off climbing. I thought, great, she'll go one or two rungs. No problem. Except she kept going. She got to the top. Now I wanted her to stop. But I was trying to decide the safest way to stop her, and she was still climbing. I wanted to be behind her on the ladder and below her at the same time, and if the other mom sees her fall off this thing, I am going to look so stupid and how am I going to explain this in the emergency room? And I was reaching as I as I could, and a little girl was watching from the top. I also wanted to be there. Helplessly, I asked her to hold Hannah's hand. Hannah stepped confidently from the ladder to the platform, as if she did this every day, and then she turned around: I have never seen her look prouder. Even when she first started walking. She then wanted to go down the big swirly slide all by herself. This would have been my picture of the day, had I not been so petrified and holding on to her for dear life.
Hannah went on to play with her new friends. They continued to climb and slide, they went with us to get water, played in the teeny tiny club house, built sandcastles and pushed her on the swings. They thought she was so cool, and I thought they were so sweet for taking the time to play with her. It sure made our day special... Hannah was a big girl for a day. I love watching her make friends. I am so thankful for this very special afternoon.
And now, I look forward to piyo. I love Mondays in summertime!

No comments:

Post a Comment