Saturday, March 6, 2010

in the wee hours of the morning...

Update on the sick baby: turns out she's really sick. she's got ear infections in both ears (first time!) and that cold turned out to be a virus called RSV. Sounds scary. Especially when the doctor administers breathing treatments with a $500 dollar nebulizer. And the medication that goes in that thing? Another $100. Peace of mind, priceless. I am so thankful for our insurance. And mother's intuition. And GRANDmother's intuition. Who knows how long I would have been nursing that "cold"... I am also thankful for phone nurses. And,I am especially thankful for support from our family - because it takes a "family" to raise a child...(not a village, as the old saying goes)
Poor Hannah. Such a little trooper. Waving at all the kids and nurses in the doctor's office. She is sleeping like a rock. I am not. I have 11 more minutes until I administer her next breathing treatment and antibiotics.
I have dreaded having a sick baby... even before I had kids. I was so afraid of everything that moms had to do. Moms do laundry. Lots of it. AND then, they put it away! Moms do the dishes, even when we are all tired after a big meal. Like Thanksgiving (I'm notorious for my turkey coma...) I don't know if I could ever do it. Moms change diapers and clean up throw up, and all kinds of other gross stuff.
What's scary now: not how much moms do, but how much moms care. That's why they do all that crazy stuff. Hannah is pretty much an 18 pound container for my heart and everything I hope for her, and I just watch it run around... every day. When I go to work... it pretty much stays with her. When she is sick, there is nothing else I can think of but to try and make her better!
Which is why I am up, blogging a few minutes away, and drinking Immune Fizz...
All is set and ready to get us through the night. Humidifiers filled and running. Nebulizer: assembled (correctly, I hope) and plugged in ready to go. teaspoon laying out by the amoxicillin. coffee pot: set for 5 am.
Already looking forward to a nap tomorrow. Or a run. One or the other, depending on how stressed I am.

On an unrelated note, some other goals:
Want to use that box of hair dye.
I am in desperate need of a haircut, as well.
Grades are due on Tuesday. My new motivation for powering through piles of papers? The foot spa. Tomorrow I'll do a pedicure while I grade!
Need to run tomorrow. Perhaps I already mentioned that. I think I'm the one that needs the reminder!
Watch movie. (i rented Angela's Ashes... couldn't stop watching it on Sunday night, but sadly, had begun watching it halfway through...)
Will listen to the rhythm of the falling rain.

Time for the medicine. This will either go really well, or be really difficult. Don't really want to try it. I miss Micah (He's in the desert for the weekend.)


Long night. Listening intently to her breathing on the monitor. Thankful for each and every breath! Thank you, Lord, for my little girl...

No comments:

Post a Comment