Saturday, May 8, 2010

cinco de mayo.

Just an FYI, Cinco de mayo (that's Spanish for "fifth of May!) is not Mexican Independence Day (Sept 16!). In short, the holiday commemorates the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862.
But, I am ALWAYS looking for a reason to celebrate, yes, despite Micah's 6:00 board meeting with the HOA (life is SO BUSY) we did have some fantastic homemade tacos that day, Hannah's favorite black beans, and I had made plans for an authentic coconut rice pudding, but we're saving that for later, along with the chipotle beef tacos with caramelized onions. It was the dinner I intended to make, but I've actually learned to expect a wee bit less of myself lately in exchange for playing in the park with Hannah, or getting the necessary grading/laundry/cleaning/shopping done! Maybe this weekend (or... next weekend?) we'll have our Mexican feast. I'm pretty sure it'll be glorioso.
In the meantime, one of my favorite ways that America commercializes this holiday is Dos Equis' version of the Most Interesting Man in the World. He's pretty much the Spanish Chuck Norris, and I've included of course one of YouTube's finest samplings
but sadly, there is no video for my favorite installment thus far... this year's 5 de mayo ad:
"The Aztec calendar has his Cinco de Mayo party chiseled in"
"The front of his house looks like it was built by the Mayans, because it was"
"The contents of his tacos REFUSE to fall from the shell"
"Cutting onions does not make him cry, it only makes him stronger"
"He has never filled up on chips."
I want to be the most interesting (wo)man in the world.
(It would make my Spanish class FASCINATING.)
Hope you all had a fantastic Cinco de Mayo, too! It's always a fantastic day when we eat Mexican food!

No comments:

Post a Comment